Monday, May 26, 2008

Volunteering for the UN Online

Any of you who know me know that I am a huge UN advocate. If there is one thing I care about, it's UN reform, policy and current affairs.

My dream job hands down is to work at the UN even if it means going to some remote country to get my hands dirty and do my part.

Studying international relations at BU gave me the wonderful opportunity to meet a lot of people who have worked at the UN, and all of them suggested that volunteering is a good way to get your foot in the door with the organization. I checked it out, and actually a lot of the opportunities require certain skills that I may not possess (yet)--like medical, etc. Additionally it's hard when you're still in school.

However, I found that people can volunteer online through UN Online Volunteering. I was SO excited, and so I signed up. I just applied to a position, and I am really looking forward to hearing back.

You would be surprised though to find out all the different things that you could do as an online volunteer--all types of people are needed from all fields and areas of study. Check it out.

No comments: