Friday, April 25, 2008

How you can help...

As good people who legitimately care about the world and where it is going, we always feel we aren't doing enough. We always dream about going to a developing country to help out and actually doing great work on the ground. And chances are, I will and many of you who read a blog like this will go to a place where you can help at some point in our lives.

Before that though, there are so many things that we can do to help the world get into better shape. Often, it's easy to feel that if you can't go all the way it's not worth it at all. I see this a lot with recycling. I will be honest--I don't recycle everything, but just because I don't always doesn't mean I should not ever recycle. A little bit counts and, in my opinion, we forget that.

So the reason for my little rant on the little ways we can help is because last night I attended a really compelling discussion on Tibet at a former UN official's home. He works now with a non-profit in Tibet, and with a friend, he gave some great insights as to what is going on in the region.

About 20 young professionals gathered to listen to this man and his colleague recount tales from Tibet and then asked very deep, intellectual questions. Sharing stories and allowing people to ask questions is such a simple way to better our world. The more we understand, the better we are.

I know that I can never be a Tibetan or a Kosovar or a Chechnyan, and I will never fully understand what their life is like, but the only way to get any idea is to ask the really tough questions when the time comes, or better yet, listen to the q and a of people around you. While reading and following the news is one part of learning, it is also really important to me to engage people who have been on the ground in these places to get answers to the toughest questions.

Maybe we haven't gotten to the real volunteer work on the grassroots level, but in an intellectual city like Boston or anywhere for that matter, it is important to take every opportunity to absorb information and probe for answers from the many experts we have around us.

The Young Professionals for International Cooperation hosted the event in partnership with the speaker. I am the Social Director of the organization and we are always looking for new members and ideas. If you feel inspired by this entry and feel that you might be interested in this kind of activity, please comment and introduce yourself to me.

No comments: